Virgin Megastore ad in Rolling Stone magazine
Glad to see our Virgin Megastore ad featured on the inside cover of Rolling Stone magazine. Although not our first photo shoot for a Virgin campaign, I personally like this one the most. So what makes a photo shoot ad work? Every piece of visual communication can be seen in terms of good design vs. no design. Of course this is largely subjective, but the impact of a photo shoot ad depends on a few notable factors:
1. Design is everything. Photography or not, the layout should make aesthetic sense. Use the rule of thirds in your composition and you’re almost there.
2. Add drama. People are interested in lights but also in anything that seems unusual and unexpected. Capture as much movement and interaction as the situation allows. The more, the better.
3. Let there be light. Without the right balance of directional and ambient light, this shot wouldn’t have worked. Here’s a secret: each of the characters were individually lit in several different shots and the final image was pieced together in Photoshop.
4. The cast. No matter how great your idea is, all depends on the charm and role play skills of your actors. For this shoot, we gathered friends, family and staff of Virgin for a great mix of characters. I thank each and every one of them for their energy and for making this such fun.
5. The crew. The girls and boys behind the lens. You know who you are. Thank you, thank you.
Leave a Reply